Friday 9 December 2011

Roy Orbison Singing For The Lonely

With Christmas violently approaching like a festive freight train, holiday specials are dominating the TV channels and radio airwaves. I nestled into bed last night and flicked on Detroit public TV because ... when in doubt ... there's always something on that channel.

I was pleasantly surprised to find myself looking at Roy Orbison and Friends, A Black and White Night from 1987 (broadcast in 1988). Nostalgic me was instantly thrown back to my younger years and had me thinking about my dad (Hi, Da!). I remember seeing this taping a number of times growing up.

For this performance, Orbison is backed by some musical heavy hitters, including Elvis Presley's former backing band, Tom Waits, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, k.d. lang, Elvis Costello, and the incredible Bruce Springsteen, among others. The soothing sounds were completely filmed in black and white in front of a live audience (which also contained quite a few celebrities).

Just the thing to help my mind make sweet dreams ...


Only the Lonely - Roy Orbison & Friends

Hope you enjoy a little serenading. Christmas or not, music sometimes has a way of making you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Ok, enough cheesy-ness ... didn't you know that too much cheese can cause constipation?











No comments: