Wednesday 11 January 2012

A Nom-Nom-Nom: Vegetarian Potato Lasagne

I'd love to take full credit for coming up with the concept of a potato lasagne. But the folks at Prince Edward Island Potato (yup, that's a legit site) e-mailed me a recipe after I entered one of their contests. I like this recipe for a few reasons. Meal planning is not really my forte, so I never seem to have lasagne noodles in my pantry. Aaaand, I'm always looking for an excuse to eat potatoes.

You can check out their (non-veg) recipe by clicking the link above, but I'll share my vegetarian interpretation. Mostly, I really wanted to use a load of spinach to fool my toddler into eating leafy greens. Guess what? It worked! Since potatoes are one of his favourite foods right now, I made sure to point those out while we were eating. Yay, Mom!

Vegetarian Potato Lasagne
Serves 4-6

  • 2 medium white potatoes (the P.E.I. ones will work - ha!)
  • 3 cups of your favourite pasta sauce (or a jar of Prego)
  • 2 cups cooked whole wheat egg noodles
  • 1 block (300g) frozen spinach
  • 1 yellow onion
  • few cloves of garlic
  • 1 cup cheese of your choice (I used a medium cheddar)
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 cup water


While you're cooking your pasta, fry up your onion and garlic in a pan with about 1 tbsp olive oil. Once the onion is soft, place your frozen block of spinach into the pan and add your water. Continue to cook until spinach is defrosted and heated through.

Peel potatoes and cut into thin round slices - the thinner, the better. Spread a little olive oil and sauce on the bottom of a glass casserole dish (I used a 9x13" dish). Place half the sliced potatoes in the dish, followed by half the spinach mixture, half the pasta, half the cheese, and 1 cup of sauce. Repeat for second layer. Finish with your final cup of sauce and a generous sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

Cover and bake at 375 degrees for about 50 minutes, or until potatoe slices are tender. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments: