Tuesday 18 September 2012

Yellow Vegetable Thai Curry

Every now and then, I get the urge to have a creamy coconut curry with noodles. Since our little dude loves tofu (weird, right?), I figured I could throw something together to suit us all.

I had picked up some smoked tofu the other day, which is something I've never seen before. Turns out, it's a great addition to this curry.

Ingredients:
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp puréed garlic
1 tbsp puréed ginger
1 tsp red Thai curry paste
1 tsp turmeric
3 tbsp natural peanut butter
4 cups vegetables (I used sliced red peppers, white mushrooms, celery, carrots, and shredded zucchini)
1 can of coconut milk
1 pkg smoked tofu, cubed
1/2 cup water
Salt, to taste
1 cup toasted almonds, cashews, or peanuts

Heat oil in a pan and cook onion until golden. Add garlic, ginger purées and the curry paste and fry, being careful not to burn. You'll want to keep the heat on low for this part, as the puréed tend to spit - ouch!

Throw in the vegetables, peanut butter, tofu and turmeric and fry for a few minutes, until everything is incorporated. Pour the coconut milk and water in and simmer for 15-20 minutes. It should thicken into a nice, creamy sauce. Don't forget to add your salt at this point, if you dig it.

Serve on flat rice noodles or rice and sprinkle with toasted nuts. I have my almonds a little whir in the food processor before toasting, but you can do whatever the heck you want. Enjoy!

No comments: