Wednesday 24 October 2012

Quick Cabinet Refresh

Ever since I met my husband's little china cabinet, I always felt that it needed finishing. It's cute and functional, but the bare pine wood was calling for attention.

It wasn't until we brought in the dining room set that I realized there were far too many competing wood finished in the room. Someday, I'd love to re-finish the table and chairs, but that's a pretty big project and it's tough for me to be so ambitious about a project that involves a room that we use frequently. Is it just me? I'm not even sure that's a good reason!

Anyway, I already had the stain (which I had purchased for the guest room pallet headboard project), so I just got to work emptying the cabinet and cleaning all the dust off. I'm pretty impatient, so I didn't even bother to sand the wood. Frankly, I just wanted to quickly tone down the yellow in the wood, so I wasn't too particular.

I used Varathane Wood Stain in 'Sun Bleached' and used a rag to wipe it on. When you are staining anything, be sure to stir the stain. You'll be amazed at how much gunk lies at the bottom of the can. That's where all the colour hides! For nooks and seams, I grabbed one of the kids' cheap art brushes and wiped the excess off.



Up close and personal.

Cabinet: before & after. It's subtle, but trust me ... in person, it's a lot less yellow and in-yo-face.

No comments: