Monday 5 November 2012

Kids' Pants for Under $3

You read that right, friends.

I stumbled upon a cute little pair of DIY pants via Pinterest (obviously) that are made entirely from only two bandanas. You can find the tutorial on Sew, Mama, Sew (by Stefani from Blue Yonder Ranch) right HERE. Because I actually had bandanas laying around, leftover from my daughter's birthday party - and Halloween, for that matter - I thought this would be a great project to try out. Not only did I have the materials on hand, but I just so happened to start sewing about a month ago and am really enjoying it! (My first project, a sham-type pillow cover was made for the guest room makeover).

My bandanas were originally purchased at the dollar store for a whopping $1.25 apiece. So, if I round up, maybe to account for thread and such, these pants cost about $3 to make. Three freaking dollars, folks!

The site from which I got this tutorial calls these boys' summer pants, but they would be just as cute on girls and/or as pajama bottoms. On my little dude, they are the perfect length (he is 2 1/2 and on the tall side), but can be worn until they are capri length or even shorter. I'd love to see these made in tons of other colours, too.

The only thing that I changed from the original tutorial is that I re-used a waistband from a pair of the little dude's ratty lounge pants instead of buying plain elastic. The original lounge pants still fit around the waist, they were way too short and the knee was ripped. Bonus: I didn't have to measure for the waist and the elastic was already neatly covered by soft fabric, which adds more substance to the finished waistband.

Not only were these pants easy to make, but the little dude LOVES them! Score.

1 comment:

khoffman said...

Those are soooo cute! I wish they came in adult sizes :P