Wednesday 10 April 2013

They Grow Up So Fast: Giant Ruler Growth Chart

So I made the infamous ruler growth chart that is everywhere online. Everyone who has ever made one has also written a tutorial, so I won't. But check out the pictures for inspiration, because there no such thing as too much inspiration when you're a DIYer. I believe the idea and product originated at the Pottery Barn, but don't quote me on that.

Seriously though, this is the easiest project and it is also inexpensive - I'm talking about $20 and that is only if you need to buy new materials. If you're a beginner crafter, this one is for you!

I used a 1x4x6" plank of white pine, a sanding block, a bit of MinWax in 'Red Mahogany' and a black Sharpie marker.

Oh man, was I tired of seeing these penciled in chicken scratches on the doorway to the dining room ...


I was surprised at how the MinWax stain brought out the grain in the pine. When we were poking through the pile of planks at Rona, none of them seemed to look very grainy at all. Love the result, though!

Still needs to be hung. For some reason, I can only find one half of my flush-mount hardware. Ha, how does that even happen?


Hand-numbering is the way to go. It's not that hard, I promise!

No comments: